Cisco IT Essentials Chapter 1-10 Final Exam v4.1
1. Where can a user change the idle time after which a laptop will switch to standby mode?
>Left-click Start > Control Panel > Power Options, then click the Power Schemes tab.
2. What is the purpose of SCSI and RAID adapters?
>to connect storage devices such as hard disk drives to a PC
3. A newly purchased scanner is not functioning as efficiently as expected. Which step should a technician take to improve performance?
>Download drivers and utilities from the manufacturer web site.
4. A technician needs to configure the hard drive on a computer so that there appears to be one drive for the operating system and four drives for data from different applications. How can the hard drive be configured to provide this perception?
>Create one primary partition and one logical partition with four logical drives within it.
5. ABC Company wants to configure laptops to automatically power components off to improve battery life. Which power management control can be used to accomplish this?
6. ABC Inc. decided to integrate redundancy by connecting multiple hard disks to duplicate the information they store. Which type of adapter will need to be installed on the servers to accomplish the desired redundancy?
7. A technician has been asked to find how a hacker keeps breaking in to a computer. Which security precaution was most likely missed when the operating system was first installed?
>A password was not assigned to the default administrator account.
8. When analyzing a protocol used on the network, it is discovered that multicast messages are being sent to network devices. Which class of IP addressing is being used to send these messages?
9. A technician has installed and configured an external projector on a laptop. What is the final task the technician must perform for the image to be displayed through the projector?
>Press the function key sequence to activate the image on the projector.
10. A computer user buys a low priced replacement monitor but finds that there is a lot of flicker. The flicker makes the monitor unusable. Which characteristic of a monitor needs to be considered to ensure flicker-free viewing?
11. What do the terms refresh rate, interlace, and aspect ratio explain?
>image properties of a monitor
12. Why do mobile devices such as laptop computers use specially designed CPUs?
>They consume less power.
13. A technician needs to purchase a new video adapter for a computer. Which factors should be considered when selecting the adapter?
>expansion slot type
14. A company is expanding its business to other countries. All branch offices must remain connected to corporate headquarters at all times. Which network technology is required to support this requirement?
15. A technician is asked to configure the time the system must be idle before the hard disk spins down on all the Windows-based laptops in the company. The technician configured the power options in Windows but it appears to have no effect. Where should the technician look to enable power management?
16. While troubleshooting a computer on which the operating system fails to boot, a technician has checked that there are no non-bootable media in the disk drives, tried using the Last Known Good Configuration option, and attempted to boot the computer in Safe Mode, all without success. Which further possible solution could be tried?
>Perform a Repair Installation of the operating system.
17. What is the logical topology used for the Ethernet architecture?
18. When installing the Windows XP operating system, a technician is given a choice of file systems to use. If security is a requirement, which file system should be chosen?
19. Which three benefits are gained by networking computers? (Choose three.)
>fewer peripherals needed
>decreased computer-to-user ratio
>increased communication capabilities
20. When calculating the total cost of ownership of a printer it is necessary to consider the cost of the consumables. Which two consumables are associated with an inkjet printer? (Choose two.)
21. Which type of attack involves the misdirection of a user from a legitimate web site to a fake web site?
22. A supervisor received a complaint that one of the technicians was rude and disrespectful. Which action by the technician most likely caused the customer to complain?
>The technician interrupted a number of times to ask questions.
23. Fans that are used to help cool a system are commonly placed on which two components? (Choose two.)
24. Which storage device that is installed in a PC is least subject to mechanical failure?
>magnetic hard drive
25. On which two occasions is it most likely that a technician will have to perform a clean operating system installation if a backup has not been performed? (Choose two.)
>The existing operating system is corrupted.
>A new replacement hard drive is installed in a computer.
26. Refer to the exhibit. A Cisco Networking Academy instructor is trying to print a flash graphic from the curriculum. The print job has gone into the print queue as shown. Based on the output, what should be the next step in solving this problem?
>Check the printer for status messages.
27. Which firewall port number or number combination must be open in order to remotely access a network device using SSH?
28. What is the purpose of wearing an antistatic wrist strap?
>to equalize the electrical charge between the user and the equipment
29. A network administrator has finished migrating from a peer-to-peer network to a new client-server network configuration. What are two advantages of the new configuration? (Choose two.)
>Data is more secure in the event of hardware failures.
>Data resources and access are centrally controlled.
30. A call center technician answers a call from a frequent customer who is known to be impatient and lacks experience with computers. The customer has an issue with an application that the call center supports. The customer informs the technician that the problem had been reported before but the original technician was rude, did not listen, and did not fix the problem. If the technician is confident that the problem can be resolved by increasing the amount of memory in the computer, what should the technician do?
>Confirm the issues and give detailed instructions to solve the problem.
31. When installing a service pack or security patches on an operating system, what should be done to protect the system in the event of a faulty or aborted installation?
>Create a restore point.
32. Refer to the exhibit. What command was typed to produce the output that is shown?
33. What characterizes spoofing?
>Making data appear to come from a source other than the actual source.
34. A technician is troubleshooting a user complaint that a printer is not printing a report. Which step is one of the first that the technician should take?
>Ensure that there is paper in the paper tray.
35. Which three rules increase the level of password strength? (Choose three.)
>Passwords should be a combination of letters and numbers.
>Passwords should combine a user’s special dates and initials so they can be alphanumeric.
>Passwords should be short to reduce the chances of users forgetting them.
36. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of device uses the connector shown in the graphic?
37. Which type of cable standard uses a 9-pin connector and supports data rates in excess of 800 Mbps?
38. Which two items are considered proper cleaning tools? (Choose two.)
39. Which Windows tool should be run before upgrading the operating system?
40. An employee is receiving e-mail from unknown banks asking for username and password information. Which type of security attack is the employee experiencing?
41. A company uses a single computer to receive and test all Windows updates. When the most recent update was installed, several programs failed. What is the first course of action that a technician should attempt to remove the update?
>Run a System Restore from the last restore point.
42. Which network protocol is used to automatically assign an IP address to a computer on a network?
43. A technician notices that an application is not responding to commands and that the computer seems to respond slowly when applications are opened. What is the best administrative tool to use correct this problem?
44. A network technician receives an error that there is insufficient physical disk space on an external drive to hold a file from a Windows XP computer. What is a possible cause for the problem?
>The external drive is formatted with a FAT 32 file system and the file is too large for that file system.
45. A home computer owner has a PC system that runs Windows XP. For security reasons the owner has been using a limited local user account for a number of years. The owner wishes to install a new piece of software, but the user account does not have the necessary permissions. Which type of account does the owner need to use to install the new software?
46. Where in Windows XP can the shutdown, hibernate, and standby modes be configured?
>Start > Control Panel > Power Options
47. A printer has a paper jam. An impatient user has sent multiple print jobs of the
same document to this printer. What can be done to remove these print
>Cancel the jobs in the printer queue.
48. Which environmental factor helps ensure optimal performance for laptops?
>Temperature should be preferentially between 45 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit (7 to 32 degrees Celsius) to avoid overheating.
49. After Windows XP has been installed, which program would a technician use to select the programs that will run at startup?
50. A technician is having trouble with laptops that keep overheating. What
preventive maintenance procedure can be performed on the laptops to
reduce this problem?
>Clean the air vents.
51. What is the purpose of Windows Vista 64-bit Kernel Patch Protection?
>It prevents third party drivers from modifying the operating system kernel.
52. What are two network requirements necessary to establish a VPN connection between
a remote computer and a private company LAN? (Choose two.)